Pastelon Bowl a Puerto Rican Favorite



Courtesy of:  @BonittoStudio
 
Pastelon is a Puerto Rican dish that resembles a lasagna. Amarillos (sweet plantains) replace noodles and picadillo replaces the traditional Italian-style filling. The dish is a tasty combination of sweet and salty. Picadillo can also be served in a variety of dishes such as over rice or in tacos and burritos, to name a few. Pastelon can also be made as a meat "pie" by grinding the plantains. Later on I will prepare one of these for the blog (and my belly), but for now I thought I'd take a stab at putting together a simpler bowl-verision. It incorporates the predominant flavors in traditional Pastelon, but it comes together much faster. For more recipes checkout The Almost Vegan Rican

Beefless Picadillo

2 12 oz packs of Trader Joe's Beef-less Ground Beef (or your beef substitute of choice)
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes
4 cloves garlic, diced
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
a handful of manzanilla olives
1/4 cup Goya Recaito
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp Goya Adobo Light (or to taste)
1 tbsp oil (vegetable or olive) or cooking spray

Directions:

1. Coat the bottom of the caldero with oil.
2. Sautee onion, garlic and pepper until fragrant.
3. Add beef substitute and Adobo. Cook on medium-high for 3-5 minutes, stirring.
4. Add tomatoes, Recaito, oregano, olives. Once mixture begins to bubble, lower heat and cook another 5 minutes.

Serve in a bowl with Goya frozen amarillos, cooked according to package directions.

For Great Restaurants, Bars, Lounges and Night Life in Miami, visit Miami Food Review.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting my recipe. I became a vegetarian a few months back and have been working on converting some of the recipes I grew up with to keep some saber latino in my diet. :-)
    My blog is thealmostveganrican.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an extremely smart written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your useful information. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

    ReplyDelete

Share/Bookmark